Saturday, March 8, 2014

AAC Women's Tournament - Quarterfinal Journal

The next few days, I am reliving some of the best moments of my life.  I am covering the American Athletic Conference Women's Basketball Tournament at Mohegan Sun this weekend for SB Nation/The UConn Blog.  What a great experience and an honor!

First of all, most the reporters are still the same since I last saw them in San Antonio in April of 2002. It is great to see a lot of old faces. Do they remember me, of course not, but I remember them.  They are all great people.

Mohegan Sun Arena is a wonderful place to host this event.  It is near the American's conference headquarters in Rhode Island and it is located in the state that has the most passion for women's basketball.  Today, there were over 7,000 fans - mostly UConn fans - for the quarterfinals.  A decade ago I remember going to the Rutgers Athletic Center and it was half filled with no excitement.  The XL Center served its purpose the past eight years, but the building is old and falling apart and looked empty the past few years.  I am sure the non-UConn games will struggle in attendance at Mohegan Sun, but a "neutral" site at a smaller venue is the way to go.   

I really hope the American considers hosting the men's championship at Mohegan Sun in the future as well.

No big news to report on during the UConn-Cincinnati game from today.  I was really impressed the skill of Breanna Stewart and Stefanie Dolson.  Sitting on the baseline gives you a better vantage point than on television or in the stands.

UConn will be playing a final time against Rutgers on Sunday afternoon during a conference tournament.  My best memory of this rivalry was the Big East semifinal in 2001 when the roof leaked at Gampel causing a lengthy game stoppage.

I will be tweeting and posting pictures on Twitter @TheUConnBlog and my game stories will be posted at theuconnblog.com.  I will be continuing my journal on this site after each game.

Back to Uncasville in the afternoon!  Don't forget to change your clocks - spring forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment